top of page
Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is the difference between a felony and a misdemeanor?

A misdemeanor is a crime that is punishable by a period of up to 12 months in jail. A felony is a more serious crime that is punishable by a period of imprisonment longer than one year.


2. I have received a subpoena. What do I need to do?

A subpoena is an order directing you to “lay all other business aside” and be present at the time and place stated. You may receive your subpoena by mail or in person. Please see the link above regarding witness information.  Your presence may not be required. You may call the District Attorney's Office at the number listed on the bottom of the subpoena to be placed "on call". You must leave both a day and nighttime phone numbers where you can be reached during trial week. If you are placed "on call", do not come to the courthouse unless someone from the D.A.'s office or a law enforcement agency calls you. If you have a scheduling conflict for your subpoena date contact the A.D.A. assigned to the case as soon as possible.

3. How do I contact the Public Defender’s office? 

The Northern Judicial Circuit Public Defender's Office is located in Royston at:
461 Cook St, Royston, GA 30662
P: 706 246-9320
F: 706-246-9325


4. Can I speak to an Assistant District Attorney before my court appearance?

Yes, but you will need to contact the office to schedule an appointment. If you are a defendant and are represented by an attorney the District Attorney’s Office cannot communicate with you directly outside the presence of your attorney. 

5. I cannot reach my attorney. Can I speak to the DA’s office myself? 

No. If you are a defendant and are represented by an attorney the Rules of Professional Responsibility prohibit any member of the District Attorney’s Office from communicating with you directly outside the presence of your attorney. Please make arrangements with your attorney to speak with the District Attorney's Office.

6. My address has changed since my arrest. What do I need to do? 

You will need to fill out a Change of Address Form at the DA’s Office, and provide your updated address to the Clerk of Court, the person who signed your bond, and to your attorney. You must do this in person and bring a picture ID. 


7. My driver’s license was affected by my charges. What do I need to do?

Contact the Department of Driver Services at 1(866) 754-3687. They will advise you on the steps necessary to regain your license. The District Attorney’s office has no control over license suspensions or reinstatements. 

8. How can I get a copy of the disposition of my case? 

The Clerk of Superior Court can provide certified copies of court documents.  You must contact the clerk of the county in which you were charged.


9. I think a crime has been committed. How do I press charges?

The District Attorney's Office takes an active role in assisting law enforcement agencies in the investigation of criminal offenses, however, we are not a primary investigative agency.  You must first contact a law enforcement agency, such as your local police department or sheriff's office, to report the crime. An investigator should be able to direct you on how to proceed.  If you are unable to obtain assistance, please contact our office for further information.


10. I am the victim of a crime and I want to drop charges. How do I do that?

You may contact the Assistant District Attorney handling your case to discuss your concerns. While your feelings will be considered, the District Attorney's Office may decide to prosecute any case in which it is determined that continued prosecution of the matter is in the best interests of the State of Georgia.

11. I am the victim of a crime and the attorney for the defendant has attempted to contact me. Must I speak with them?

Under the Constitution, every person charged with a crime has the right to be represented by counsel.  As a victim or the parent of an underage victim, you also have certain rights.  The Defendant's Attorney, Investigator, or staff may contact you for the purpose of taking your statement.  While the District Attorney's Office cannot prevent you from speaking with the defense, you have the right to refuse to discuss the case with him/her or anyone connected with their office.

Anything you say can and will be used in court.  You have the right to talk to an Assistant District Attorney or have one present if you choose to speak with Defendant's Attorney before making any statement.
If you choose to talk to the defendant's lawyer or his staff, you may request that a member of the District Attorney's office be present.


If you choose to talk to the defendant's lawyer, you may request a copy of any statement or recording you make, and if you choose, show it to the Assistant District Attorney prosecuting your case.

If someone calls, comes to your house, place of business, or child's school, you have the right to refuse to talk with them or allow them to talk with your child.

If you choose to exercise your right to have no contact, directly or indirectly, with the Defendant's Attorney or anyone else associated with the Defendant, please fill out this form and return it to the Victim/Witness Assistance Office as soon as possible.

12. I have been convicted of a felony and wish to have my rights restored, what can I do?

You may apply for a pardon with the Department of Pardons and Paroles.  An application is available here.

bottom of page